Monday, February 3, 2014

Vegan Almond - Rice Balls

                       


Now I think any vegetarian or vegan people knows Falafel, those little spicy balls, common in every middle east kitchen. As I read the recipe for those Almond - Rice balls it remind me Falafels. In fact they look very similar but the taste is completely different. The difficulty from these little balls is to achieve that all the ingredients stick together and you'll be able to form balls. I am not sure if it could be easier when one use a sticky rice like risotto rice.... Next time I think I'll try it with some risotto rice because I confess I had some problems to get well formed balls.... I was using a normal rice....
You need (for 2 - 3 people):
- 100 g rice
- 50 g ground almonds + 25 g to roll the balls into before frying them
- 1 little onion, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp. Tamari or Wok Sauce 
- 1 garlic glove, chopped finely
- 1 tsp. dryed Oregano
- 50 g wholemeal bredcrumb
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Carob gum
Salt, pepper and ground nutmeg
Some olive oil to fry the balls
Some salad or some vegetables as side dish 
To prepare:
1. Cook your rice as usual
2. Mix together with your hands rice, onion, garlic, Tamari or Wok Sauce, mustar and the ground almonds. Season wirh slat, pepper and nutmeg
3. Preheat in a deep pan about 1 finger high olive oil
4. Form small balls ( sized like golf balls) and roll in the rest of ground almonds




5. Fry the balls in the preheated oil until golden brown

Enjoy fresh and hot with some salad or savour them later cold...

               

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...